I've been getting into baking quite abit over the past few months and I've tried out quite a few different recipes but this is by faaaaarr the best thing I've baked!! (apart from maybe the ham and mushroom muffins they are so friggin delish I had to mention them lol)
These carrot cupcakes were so easy to make and turned out so incredibly soft and moist and bouncy in the middle with that lovely delicate airiness that makes cupcakes so yummy! The raisins also add that extra sweetness to make them amazing!!
For the cupcakes:
225g grated carrots
2 large eggs
130g golden caster sugar
120ml vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp fresh orange zest
120g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
For the cream cheese frosting:
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold
1. Preheat oven to 160degC(fan)/180degC/350degF/Gas Mark 4. Line two 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake cases or papers.
2. Combine the grated carrots and raisins in a large bowl using a wooden spoon and put to one side. Beat the eggs and sugar together for several minutes and the carefully add the oil, vanilla extract, and orange zest and beat well.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon into a separate bowl and then slowly add these ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
4. Then pour the mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and raisins and mix by hand using a wooden spoon or spatula until they are well incorporated.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each case about two-thirds of the way up the paper.
6. Place the trays in the oven and bake for approx 25mins. When cooked the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in colour and feel spongy to the touch. Allow them to cool in their tins for 10mins or so before placing on a wire rack to cool.
7. For the cream cheese frosting: Beat the icing sugar and butter together with handheld electric whisk on medium -slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 mins. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Cherry Lane xoxo
Carrot Cupcake Recipe Source
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Source